Clock ticking on proposed beachside hotel for New Smyrna Beach

FOLLOW-UP

VolusiaNews.net and NSBNEWS.net provide 24/7 online-media coverage for a 21st-century world
(Photos by Dale Smith). In the larger photo, David Swentor, developer of the proposed 112-room Hampton Inn on Flagler Avenue in New Smyrna Beach, addresses the City Commission, with attorney Glenn Storch by his side, implores officials to grant him an additional six months to secure funding, saying his project was negatively impacted by the city's planning debacle. In the smaller photo, City Commissioner and Mayor Adam Barringer, along with Commissioners Judy Reiker and Lynne Plaskett, vote to meet him half way with a three-month extension. Commissioner Jim Hathaway opposes any extension at all. 

Here is a link to one of the earlier stories on the planning debacle that NSBNEWS.net broke:

nsbnews.net/content/279859-hotel-developer-david-swentor-citys-planning-debacle-insane

Editor's note: The following story was submitted by contributing writer Dale Smith:

NEW SMYRNA BEACH – The develops can look at their plight following Tuesday's decision by the City Commission as a glass half full or half empty.

Regardless, the commission voted 4 to 1 to grant the developer of the proposed 112-room Hampton Inn on Flagler Avenue three months to come up with financing for the project to become reality instead of the six months asked.

South Carolina-based developer David Swentor had no choice, but to make his plea for more time with the initial deadline for financing set to expire Jan. 26. The three-month reprive granted Tuesday means the final deadline is April 26.

Swentor reminded officials of their planning department debacle that came to light lastlast fall affecting dozens of large- and small-scale projects, worth tens of millions of dollars because of the city's planning debacle; a situation where final paperwork was never sent to the state for final consideration.

Among the projects was the hotel, which could not move forward until the state Department of Community Affairs had a chance to review it.

Swentor and his attorney, Glenn Storch, had already been given the blessing of the Community Redevelopment Agency for a six-month extension. Swentor and Storch said they were on track to finalize the financing and believed they could actually begin construction during the first quarter of 2011.

Swentor said he asked for six months because that was the amount of time he believed he lost during the city’s problem with the comp plan and DCA; but vice mayor Jim Hathaway took issue with that and was the only dissenter when the vote was cast.

“If in six months the project has not started, will we be looking at another extension?” Hathaway asked. “If not, we need to re-think our position.”

Mayor Adam Barringer was also concerned with a six-month extension, instead offering compromise at three months:. “We were supposed to have a closing by Jan. 26. The commission embraced the hotel project. What’s going to happen in six months? We’ll have egg on our face.”

At left, resident Dennis Mitchell describes the hotel development as a "failed project."

Dennis Mitchell, a new homeowner in New Smyrna Beach, said he came to the city for its quality of life, but questioned why the hotel was even considered on Flagler.

“I have no issues with the developer,” Mitchell said. “But what I’ve seen, this is a failed project. I’m joining forces with the other Florida Avenue residents in opposing the extension.”

Resident John Shelby questioned the commission as to why the meeting on the extension was vetted without public participation, adding in part: “I think we need to give the public the right to speak on this item before you allow an extension."

Swentor received support from resident Bob Tolley when he said given what the developer has gone through over the last two-plus years trying to get this hotel built, “he deserves the extra time; that is unless he’s a masochist.”

 

About the contributing writer:

Dale Smith is a resident of New Smyrna Beach, who has reported on local news in Volusia County since October 2009.  His writing background includes a mix of journalism and public relations in several community newspapers and a p.r. firm in northern Virginia. He attended Barton Academy in Barton, Vt., and the Cambridge (Mass.) School of Broadcasting for radio & TV broadcasting.

About the Blogger

Henry Frederick's picture

Henry Frederick is publisher of Headline Surfer®, the award-winning 24/7 internet newspaper serving the Daytona Beach-New Smyrna Beach / Sanford-Orlando metropolitan region via HeadlineSurfer.com. Florida's first around-the-clock newspaper was launched April 7, 2008, in New Smyrna Beach, initially as NSBNews.net and VolusiaNews.net. Headline Surfer is a registered trademark of NSB News LLC. Headline Surfer® Publisher Henry Frederick, is recognized as one of Florida's top award-winning cops & courts reporters, who has received more awards for such coverage than any other reporter working in Central Florida. He's the top journalist in the Florida Press Club two years running with seven journalism awards for 15 breaking news and investigative stories, three blogs and top internet site. He's the only reporter to win awards for coverage of the Trayvon Martin slaying as well as the subsequent George Zimmerman murder trial acquittal in Sanford. He's also won state, regional and national journalism awards for his coverage of cops and courts fear 8 1/2 years at the Daytona Beach News-Journal, where he witnessed and reported on the execution of serial killer Aileen Wuornos and covered the civil trial brought by NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt's widow to keep his autopsy files sealed. Before that before he covered cops & courts for Gannett Suburban Newspapers / The Journal News in Westchester and Rockland counties in New York, where he won a highly-coveted Associated Press Award for breaking news. Before launching the 24/7 internet newspaper in 2008, he was an award-winning city editor for the Taunton Daily Gazette, in his native Massachusetts for two years, winning a national investigative award on municipal corruption. The first of Frederick's three books, for which he has secured publishing rights, is called "Creepy Ass Cracker" (840 pages, Xlibris), which will hit bookstores in September. His second book, "Wrestling ReWind," is expected to be published in January 2015. The third book is not yet titled.
View his blog archives here

User login