New Smyrna Beach offers free adult classes in February
NEW SMYRNA BEACH -- Adults can learn about computers, e-readers, gardening and more at the New Smyrna Beach Regional Library this February. Upcoming programs include:
● E-books and e-readers: Wednesday, Feb. 1. Librarian Tobey Mason and Library Assistant Kristin Heifner will show patrons how to use the library’s downloadable media options including Freegal’s free and legal music downloads and Overdrive’s popular audio books and e-books. They will focus on Nooks at 9:30 a.m. and Kindles at 10:30 a.m. Registration is required.
● DVD learning series: 2 p.m. Thursdays, Feb. 2, 9 and 16. During each one-hour session of “Mr. Lincoln: The Life of Abraham Lincoln,” Professor Allen C. Guelzo of Gettysburg College will discuss Lincoln’s life, focusing on the man, his politics, his opposition to slavery, and the gifts that equipped him to lead the nation through the Civil War. Registration is not required. This taped course is sponsored by the Friends of the Library.
● Computer basics: 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 8. This lecture-based course is for adults with little or no computer experience who would like to learn about the physical components of a computer, get acquainted with terminology, and learn a few basic Internet searching tips. Registration is required.
● Email and attachments: 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 15. Learn how to get a free address, compose emails, add pictures and documents, and more in this lecture-based workshop. Registration is required.
● Vegetable gardening: 11 a.m.to noon Monday, Feb. 20. Karen Stauderman, an extension agent with the University of Florida/Volusia County Extension, will address Florida gardening basics, including soil preparation, garden design, seed selection, fertilizers, pest control and common diseases. Registration is not required.
● E-books and e-readers: Wednesday, Feb. 29. Librarian Tobey Mason and Library Assistant Kristin Heifner will show patrons how to use the library’s downloadable media options including Freegal’s free and legal music downloads and Overdrive’s popular audio books and e-books. They will focus on Nooks at 4:30 p.m. and Kindles at 5:30 p.m. Registration is required.
All workshops and classes will be held in the library auditorium. To register for the computer or e-reader workshops, stop by the reference desk or call 386-424-2910, ext. 104.
The library is open seven days a week at 1001 S. Dixie Freeway. Hours are 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday. For more information about the Volusia County Public Library system, visit www.volusialibrary.org or www.facebook.com/volusialibrary.
About the Blogger
Henry Frederick is publisher of Headline Surfer®, the award-winning 24/7 internet newspaper serving the Daytona Beach-Orlando metro area via HeadlineSurfer.com, launched April 7, 2008, as Florida's first around-the-clock online newspaper. Frederick is among the Sunshine State's most experienced reporters with scores of regional, state & national journalism-industry awards for nearly 100 breaking news & investigative reporting stories in Florida, New York, Massachusetts & Connecticut. The first of Frederick's three books, "Creepy Ass Cracker" (842 pages, Xlibris), hits bookstores in October 2015. The second book, "Wrestling ReWind is scheduled for publication in December 2015. The third book, "The Day NASCAR Died: 15th Anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death in the Daytona 500," is planned for publication in February 2016.
View his blog archives here